Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What Makes a Vibrant Community?


Last week I went to an event on the seven aspects of vibrant communities at the Santa Barbara Foundation.  What does vibrant communities mean?  Vibrant communities are places where:

1. ARTS AND CULTURAL EXPRESSION are encouraged and celebrated

2. LIVING & DYING WITH DIGNITY are community values

3. LIFELONG LEARNING is encouraged and available

4. SAFETY is both a community and a personal responsibility

5. CIVIC ENGAGEMENT is considered a duty

6. SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC GROWTH is cultivated

7. PROTECTION OF OUR ENVIRONMENT and HISTORICAL PLACES is a shared value that benefits human health and our local economies.


This is the briefest of overviews.  More information on defining vibrant communities is available on the Santa Barbara Foundation web page.



So what does this mean to you and me?


Takeway #1:
It takes all kinds of efforts from people like you and me to make our community vibrant.  In fact, the foundation states that the “correct” approach can, and should, emerge from all sectors (nonprofits, faith community, business, informal alliances, families, etc) and from people who hold very different points of view.   

This means that our varied passions all add up to something that is greater than it's parts.  My passion is early childhood education.  My husband's passion is providing support to families with cancer.  I have a friend whose passion is nature and preservation and some of my friends give their time, talent and treasure to the art museum.  No matter what your area of philanthropic passion, your contribution is important in creating a truly vibrant community.


Takeaway #2
This type of vision and leadership always inspires me to help make our community stronger and gives me hope that its possible.  It helps me see the big picture and where my efforts fit in more clearly.


Takeaway #3
I like that this is a framework and leaves room for the “it depends” mentioned in my last post.  It is designed to evolve over time as community issues shift.




I need to give the disclaimer that I am doing a small marketing contract for the Santa Barbara Foundation.  However, my contract does not relate to this post and I have been a follower and admirer of the foundation, as a community member, for several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment