Thursday, May 26, 2011

Is the Gates Foundation Taking Advocacy Too Far?

Last week, the New York Times published this article questioning if the Gates Foundation's support of Education Reform has taken advocacy too far.

The article points out:

  •  Mr. Gates is creating entirely new advocacy groups. It is bankrolling many of the Washington analysts who interpret education issues for journalists and giving grants to some media organizations.
  • Then there are the less well-known advocacy grants to civil rights groups like the Education Equality Project and Education Trust that try to influence policy, to research institutes that study the policies’ effectiveness, and to Education Week and public radio and television stations that cover education policies.
  • Over the next five or six years, Mr. Golston said, the foundation expects to pour $3.5 billion more into education, up to 15 percent of it on advocacy.

At one point, these actions are accused of being "Orwellian."  For those of you, like me, that did not read James Orwell's 1984 it refers to "being destructive to the welfare of a free society."

This got me thinking:

DOES GATES' ADVOCACY GO TOO FAR?

The last time I had a class covering advocacy was in high school. Admittily, I'm really a neophyte on this subject, but I am a concerned citizen of our nation.

They way I see it,  large oil companies have lobbied government for years in ways that have resulted in environmental and political outcomes that I do not agree with.
  • Is this financial power and influence in our government now okay because I peronally agree with what Gates is accomplishing and see it as a ray of hope in changing our education system? 
  • Is this a case where two wrongs don't make a right? 
  • If the same amount of money was coming from multiple sources, still with the same views, would that make it less scrutinized.  
  • At what point is financial support of advocacy okay and at what point is it not okay?

So, I don't have any big takeways this week, except that I wish I could now go back and take that college course on advocacy that I am sure I avoided.

You comments welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment