Sunday, April 3, 2011

EVERYDAY Takeaways from Liberia (final trip post)

Going to Liberia, being hosted by the presidential office, and learning about grassroots development projects in small villages is far from EVERYDAY.   However, I still took away lessons that apply to EVERYDAY.


TAKEAWAY #1 - I learned the importance of investing in a civil society.  


The Minister of Investment and Commerce spoke about one of the greatest needs in Liberia is to strengthen its civil society.  A civil society is informed and knowledgeable and will push back on those that challenge to undermine it.  Relating this back to EVERYDAY,  I realized posting blog articles that help us be better informed and more knowledgeable IS action.  Not everything needs an immediate physical action to be valuable to learn about.


TAKEWAY #2 - I learned the importance of government and policy on impacting change. 

In some way I knew this, but I never concretely understood the importance of this.  I've had  a bit of a "laissez a faire" attitude to local, state and national government, but I realize to change issues I care about, I need to care more about what government is doing.


TAKEAWAY #3 - I learned how little it takes to impact someone living in extreme poverty

It is as simple as teaching someone to be an egg farmer at a 50% margin vs. a coal burner at 10% or giving someone a micro loan to build a small business vs. being a petty trader.  EVERYDAY I need to realize small gains make a big impact even if they don't solve everything.


TAKEAWAY #4  - I learned to not assume because someone lives in a village of mud huts with no indoor pluming, electricity, or running water that they don't feel love or happiness.  

My new friend, Moses, on the trip taught me that based on his first hand experience.  EVERYDAY, I need to have faith that kids can feel joy when raised with a loving parent regardless of that parent's economic means.


TAKEAWAY #5 - I learned the difference between aid, sustainable aid, and development.  

In non-emergency situations, aid comes and goes (like providing medicines), sustainable aid provides something that can be on-going once the aid stops (like a water pump), and development creates economic opportunity so people don't need aid or sustainable aid (like working at a fair trade manufacturer).



Finally, I would like to thank The Eleos Foundation for the amazing opportunity to have this experience.  I hope you will check out their website and learn more about their projects to eradicate extreme poverty and about attending their quarterly educational speakers.  They actually hosted my hero, Kristof, last fall and I missed it, but Andy assures me he was every bit as impressive in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment