Thursday, January 20, 2011

What IS Working in Haiti (and elsewhere)

I am completely overwhelmed, and I feel helpless about the situation in Haiti.  All of the negative media about non-government organization's (NGO's) being ineffective and even hurting Haiti's recovery, like this one, is making me want to be in denial about the whole situation.  So, I want to take a moment to highlight something that IS working to help Haiti, banking via cell phones.

No one is saying immediate basic health, shelter and food issues aren't important, but if you want to look long term at arresting poverty, then you need to understand "why the most powerful idea in microfinance isn’t microloans, but microsavings — helping the poor safely store their money."  Maybe on the surface it doesn't sound that monumental, but I hope after reading the articles below you will be as optimistic as I am about this.

 
Can Cell Phones Rescue Haiti? - Huffington Post
"Yet when you ask Haitians what they want most, the overwhelming majority will tell you they need money to support their families. After Haitians get clean water, food, shelter and medicine -- all the trappings of traditional aid packages -- they will still lack basic economic opportunities. That's where the cell phones come in."

I am re-posting these two articles as they further support the vital role cell phones play in aiding poverty.


I've Seen The Future (in Haiti) - New York Times
 Nicholas Kristof on the importance of cell phone technology in aiding poverty areas.  Also see this blog post from Kristof for more input from him.


In Kenya, Huts Far Off the Grid Harness the Sun - New York Times 
Recent article on the impact proving electricity, via solar panels, has on impoverished communities, not the least of which is being able to charge their cell phone, which ties into the importance of cell phones mentioned in the above article by Kristof.

I want to speak more to my feelings of helplessness and denial about Haiti.  Despite the constant negative press about the situation, I continue to read articles about people's refusal to give up. Last week I posted this interview with Thomas Tighe from Direct Relief International who said, "There is no option to quit."
There was also this article:
"I don't want America to stop from asking these tough questions, because they have to keep all of us on the ball. I just want them to understand that the option to stop helping Haiti, while we address those questions, is that people will die," Stern said.


CALL TO ACTION:

1) donate used cell phones to Haiti or other poverty stricken countries.  You can google "donate cell phones Haiti" to get a list of organizations that take cell phones for this purpose.

2) Continue to donate to reputable NGO's supporting Haiti like our local Direct Relief International

3) When donating to other relief organization's ask them if they use cell phone technology to disperse their funds to victims.

MY ACTION:
At my next book club, I am going to ask everyone to bring old cell phones to donate.  I know I could say I am going to do a larger collection, but I might not ever get to that.  This is a small enough start that I will follow through with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment